Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sony KDL-46V5100 Great Value for Money

I have been shopping for a 46" TV since last autumn. The Sony KDL-46V5100 at $1299 is a great value; when I saw the price drop from $1399 I hit the buy button. The 2009 V5100 models look as good as the 2008 Sony Z4100 series, at least to my eyes.

I considered buying a clearance 2008 model but worried about software support for discontinued models. Sure enough, Sony fixed their auto-dimming problem in a patch for the 2009 models and has not yet released a patch for 2008 models. Be sure to install the firmware update if you buy this TV; see the Sony site for details.

Sound quality is quite good for a TV; we seriously considered not using our older Sony home theater system and just going with the TV's speakers.

We love the matte finish screen. The styling is plain and unobtrusive; doesn't stand out but doesn't distract either.

A great TV at a great price. I don't like to spend a lot of money just to have the fanciest new toys; I prefer to get the maximum value for my money. This model hit the sweet spot for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment